Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Maybe there's no harm in a wasted summer with no drummer

So, I got back from UPTA at about four in the morning yesterday... Some things have occurred to me. Allow me to share them with you.

Both myself and KG, my friend who I went with, had about sixteen callbacks last year. This year, we dropped to about three. Now, I can't speak for her, but I will say that I wasn't particularly shocked by this. But, it is the beginning of a rant... A rant that, if you talked to me in the last few days, you might be familiar with. Feel free to skip it.

(Rant) To set this up for you, UPTA is spread across four days. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. One of those days is not like the others. Which one? Monday, of course. Why is it different? Because Monday is a typical actor's day off from performance. Most places are doing shows on Friday and Saturday, with at least a matinee on Sunday. Now, I understand that Monday is the end of a very long weekend for most folks and they have to be thinking about packing and heading out. I'm just curious why you wouldn't want to stay and watch the auditions on the day when 90% of actors working in the month of February could make it. I did the math before I went, and was supposed to be auditioning for 55 companies. After I checked out my callbacks, I took a look at the lists and there were about 29 that watched my group. Plus, when you factor in that I had on my information that I wasn't particularly interested in children's theatre or an internship just at the moment, there just weren't a lot of places that I could audition for left.

I'm not saying that what the companies are doing is wrong. I just don't see why you wouldn't want to check out the people who are working currently and, thusly, in demand. UPTA has to find a way to either incentivise companies staying or give a financial break to those going on Monday. Monday auditions oughtn't have to pay the same price for, roughly, half the opportunity. UPTA is still the best cattle call audition I've ever been to, don't get me wrong. But I'm not entirely sure I'll go next year if I can only go on Monday. (/rant)

All that being said, the three callbacks that I got were quality, with two specifically that I'm interested in. Plus, I was able to sneak in to Lost Colony to put my Simon on tape for them. I'm not expecting, necessarily, to go back there, since they've got in such a different, musically inspired direction. But, I do know that I'm a damn good Simon Fernando, and no one can take that one away.

I also had a moment where I made a realization. (Realization) I've got resume envy. I look at other resumes, and want what they have sometimes. I want names that pop and casting directors to raise an eyebrow when they come across something. Now, don't get me wrong, I think my resume is pretty darn solid, but I'm still...I dunno, envious isn't a good word for it, but it's the only one that comes to mind. Which is why I'm trying to get rid of it. I have to make my successes my own. No one else's success is mine, and that should be alright. I need to get to a point where I'm alright with my resume being, simply, what it is. That's easier said than done, but realizing it was the first step to, I think, a happier and more content career. (/Realization)

Also, I think I'm going to be doing some more stuff with reThink! Which is awesome. I was in a cape, essentially, from 9 to 5 the other day. Here's hoping the Amazing Brian was amazing after all.

So, that was my weekend. But enough about that. I'm going to go walk to the gym and enjoy this weather while it's still here.

Come Saturday, you'll come to stay, you'll come to sway in my arms.

No comments: